Independent Co-Educational Day & Boarding School for Ages 2 - 18. The Best of British Boarding by the Sea.
European Day of Languages 2019
Our Modern Foreign Language students celebrated the annual European Day of Languages last week with a number of language themed activities.
‘Multiligualism’ is a Key Competence according to the Council of Europe needed for personal fulfilment, a healthy and sustainable lifestyle, employability, active citizenship and social inclusion. This reflects the reality in many modern classrooms: on average, about 1 in 10 students learn in a language other than their mother tongue. Saint Felix celebrates this as students in our school speak around 23 different languages, mainly from Europe.
The European Day of Languages helps promote language learning and celebrates the linguistic diversity and cultural heritage of Europe and our school community.
Students and staff took part in a range of during last week to join this celebration:
- School assembly held by our language ambassadors.
- Special European menu at the dining hall.
- ‘European book exhibition display’ in the library
- European poetry competition.
- Macmillan coffee morning collaboration. The MFL department gave a donation to offer a free cake to those who asked for it using a European language.
- T-shirt design national contest.
- Teacher nomination: Teachers were also encouraged to use the most words in a European language around the school. Joint winners: Mr Currie and Mr Farrands
- Language Pledge: 25 volunteered students were sponsored for using a European language for the day. The money raised was donated to Macmillan cancer support.
- EDL informative display
- Geography display work on European Countries.
- Tutor time – Who wants to be Millionaire. European Day of Languages Special.
Saint Felix has been published on the EDL website and we ask that you vote for the school in the ‘Most Innovative Event’ category, the link for this is https://edl.ecml.at/Events/EventsDatabase/tabid/1772/language/en-GB/Default.aspx?EventID=20416
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart” – Nelson Mandela.